Monday, September 21, 2009

The Synoptic Gospels

This begins week 3 of my seminary journey. The last week has been dedicated to the Synoptic Gospels - Matthew, Mark, and Luke. I have to admit, I've never sat down and read all of them together before. I also have to admit I wasn't all that excited to read all of them together this time. Because really, it's just 3 guys telling the same story, right?

Well, after reading all three, here are some insights...
  1. Matthew is still my favorite. I love how Matt emphasizes the divine authority of Christ; the Davidic savior of the world.
  2. Mark is most like me - short and to the point. He is the master of the summary statement and yet, if you look for it - he really is a literary genius. His writing has layers and layers of meaning.
  3. Luke is a little fluffy for me, but his emphasis on the compassion of Jesus is refreshing.

I have always read the Gospels as novels - like I would read John Grisham. But what I am learning is that the Gospels are more closely related to classical literature in their intentional structure and literary devices. Now I find myself asking "Why did he put that story there?" "Why did he emphasize that in the story?" It is through these questions that we begin to unlock the greater purpose behind each Gospel.

(Check out my guest blog post for more information about the Methodical Bible Study approach that explores this topic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment